Friday, April 8, 2011

Practice, Practice, Practice... And It Will Be Great!

The EHS production of Bye Bye Birdie opened last week. My students told me not to come see it yet.  They felt the play wasn't ready quite yet.  I respected their wishes and waited a week.  I cannot say if they were ready opening night, but tonight they were wonderful.  Hard work always pays off.

If you are reading this and live near Easley, head out to see the play.  I guarantee that you will laugh at Mama who does a respectable Northern accent and old lady walk.  You will be impressed with the props.  You may even the references to history that are sprinkled throughout the play. You will see dreams inching closer and closer. It is well worth the small admission price.

I do not know all the performers in the play.  I have had the pelasure of teaching several of them however. Katy who plays Spanish Rose was a premature baby who fought to live in the early weeks of her life.  She (like Taylor) was saved through treatments funded by the March of Dimes and through prayer.  Katy is a tiny thing, but she knows exactly what she wants to do with her life.  She will be studying drama when she enters college next year. I fully expect to see her on the big screen one day.  There are three sisters who figure prominently into the play; each totally different from the others but all incredibly talented.  Anna Cat and Caroline teamed last year for the Wizard of Oz. They returned this year to showcase their talents along with their little sister Mary Helen.  Caroline has an amazing voice.  For Christmas, I was one of the fortunate ones who received a CD of Christmas music sung by her. She will also be famous one day.  Anna Cat is a comedic actress.  Hilarious! Little sister plays a little boy in her first dramatic turn.  I wonder how the older girls convinced her that was a good idea...  She was hilarious though.  The tap dancing sad girls practiced a few steps in my class this year, so I was glad to see that all the extra practice paid off as they looked like true dancers up on the stage. Great Job girls!

Now, if I can just get the tune We love you Conrad... oh yes, we do... out of my head..

No comments:

Post a Comment