Friday, March 18, 2022

Be A Piece of the Puzzle

If you ever want to lose sleep, try to buy a house.  I was approved to buy a house up to a ridiculous amount of money. To be honest, I cried when the mortgage broker told me that I was approved and then, I laughed at the notion I would ever need to spend so much on a house. But don't believe whatever you see on television where houses can be bought for little. Houses are expensive.

I need $17,000 for a down payment and closing costs. I have about $7,000. I have tried to figure out a way to get the other $10,000. It's simply not happening. I cannot borrow it from my retirement because that's not how my pension works. My parents cannot simply loan it to me as they prepare to move to assisted living. I do not have stocks to sell. The down payment assistance programs raise my interest rate and charge fees that are close to $4000 on the $10000. I have lived my life on the theory of having adventures and not things. I have donated to causes I believe in, I have sponsored students, I have spent my resources on people. That doesn't help me get to $10,000 though. 

I have spent a lot of time obsessing over the number lately. $10,000 is $100 one hundred times. It's $50 two hundred times. It's $20 five hundred times.... $10 a thousand times... When I got to the $10 x 1,000 level, it hit me. I'm trying to solve a puzzle so lets make it an actual puzzle!! 

Years ago, a former student of mine was raising money for IVF and she collected money using puzzle pieces. She wrote the names of the people who helped her achieve her dream on the back of the puzzle pieces so she and her husband would remember who helped them. I love seeing the photos of her two little boys on social media so I know this can be done. Will you be a piece of the puzzle to help me raise $10,000?

Oma's House will be filled with love, laughter, and books. My grandson and I are going to snuggle together reading books. We are going to make ravioli from scratch. We are going to walk the beach and find the perfect shells to paint. The front bedroom has perfect natural light and just enough space for my desk, a book shelf, and a bed for little visitors with an affection for peanut butter sandwiches like his daddy used to eat. There's a sunroom that is small but absolutely perfect for matchbox cars to be strewn all about it or GI Joes to be immersed in all kids of adventures by the next generation. There are poles out back for a hammock to be hung and the yard is small enough for me to keep up with the maintenance. I can see my life there.

How does it work? I have bought a 1000 piece puzzle. I am going to write the name of each person who donates $10 or more on the back of the pieces so I can remember who made Oma's House possible. Donate $20 and I will write  your name twice, $50 and I will write it on 5 pieces, You can write a note on the pieces or it can simply be your name. You get the idea. You are welcome to write on the pieces yourself if you're local. The puzzle will be displayed on the front entry table. I want it to be visible so I will be constantly reminded that I am surrounded by people who literally support me in all my dreams. Be a piece of the puzzle!


No comments:

Post a Comment