Saturday, March 5, 2022

Slice of Life on a Saturday

 I'm taking a break from the How to Buy a House blog series for a day or two. It's stressful and when I think too much about uprooting my entire existence, I end up laying on the couch pondering my entire life. I mean, how do I not have enough for a down payment in my savings? I want to attach my tax statements and say I donated this much to these causes and that does not count the ones too small to give receipts. I have used my income for good... I just didn't think to save enough for a down payment.  I have plenty of money in savings to travel, to fix my car if it breaks, to pay for medical bills if I break, to donate to this little league team or that Girl Scout troop, to give good gifts for holidays or searcies just because, to cover the cost of all the books I would need if Mr. K's had a big sale or Marshall's had the perfect clothing in my size... I just don't have thousands sitting there waiting to buy a house because I didn't think I would be buying a house. So, that whole topic is stressful... Instead, let's discuss things that have made me smile today. We should always always always take time to remember what made us HAPPY!

I started my day by finishing reading the book of Acts. If you're a FB friend of mine and you remember that I was reading it weeks ago, I promise I am not that slow of a reader. I have been reading it and re-reading it. I think Acts may be one of the most important books of the Bible because it says Jesus wanted non Jewish people covered by His blood as well. I am a Gentile. If you're not Jewish, you are also a Gentile. Acts matters and today when I was reading the last few chapters, Paul is being transported for trial and he has been beaten and jailed and taken from one place to the next. Through it all, he praises God. There's a whole blog in that but today, in the chapters I was reading Paul is bitten by a snake and no harm comes to him. Do you think this is from where the idea of handling snakes in the fundamentalist churches comes?? Anybody know? That's what I pictured when I read it though. Snake handlers... Go read Acts.

I made a list of things to accomplish today. Don't be impressed, I did like 3. I took the trash off. I did laundry. I picked a dress I had ordered up and when I finish this post, I will have completed #4. I did, however, meet G for breakfast at Eggs Up Grill. If you have never eaten their grilled blueberry muffin, go tomorrow. It is so good. I didn't eat that today but I usually do. G and I go often enough that I could order for her and Today, when she said she wanted water to drink, I knew we were heading to Starbucks afterward so she could order a drink with lots of Splenda and raspberry syrup. It's good to have friends who you can text simply the word Breakfast? and when she wakes up, she replies with give me 15 minutes. If I move, G will need way more than 15 minutes to meet me for breakfast. My friends will be the hardest to leave.

I truly spent a lot of time on the couch today avoiding grading papers, avoiding the registration sheets I need to do for each student in my first period class, avoiding thinking about the fact that I don't have enough money in savings for a down payment... I need to check things off this list but instead I took a nap. It's Saturday. Naps are allowed on Saturdays. They are a judgement-free activity on weekends.

This evening, I went to watch Indoor Percussion compete. Band has so many different aspects and they're all impressive. Indoor percussion gives each school 8 minutes to perform and its' theater, movement, and drums and xylophones and cymbals. I LOVE watching talented students perform. Easley's show is the Lighthouse and it features a huge lighthouse made by a parent. I am not musical AT ALL but I LOVE LOVE LOVE all things Band. 

Now, I am at home again. I may grade some papers or I may watch HGTV or maybe a Hallmark movie where the girl falls in love with the small town baker instead of the wealthy big city lawyer... and nobody ever asks the Hallmark heroine how much money is in her savings account. :) I apparently need to move to Vermont.

I hope your Saturday was as wonderfully unproductive as mine has been. We all need some downtime these days.  


No comments:

Post a Comment