Saturday, May 2, 2020

Shadows and Shade

A friend of mine and I were having a discussion the other night on Instagram Live. (Oh, the things we do now that we are in quarantine...). He had taken part in a webinar where they had discussed the shadows of Leadership. In our Instagram discussion, this quickly diverged into a discussion of Peter Pan trying to put his shadow back on with soap in the Disney classic. Why soap? Our friends who had tuned in gave several theories - the Lost Boys did not have moms so they had never been required to bathe so they didn't know what soap was, the Lost Boys were actually dead thus, they did not have shadows, and the scientific makeup of soap back in the day made it sticky so it could replace glue... Who Knew?  However, it has been two days and I am still thinking about the shadows of leaders.  

If leaders stand in front of the light, they can cast a shadow keeping the ones serving under them in relative darkness OR they can stand in front of the light and create shade for their people. Do your people need the heat from the sun or protection from the heat is an important question to ask in these situations? Is a shadow different from shade OR is it all a matter of perspective?

A shadow is defined as a dark area or shape produced by a body coming between rays of light and a surface.  We think our shadow is the reflection of who we are but it really depends on the rays of light. I have stopped several times in the writing of that sentence to just ponder on the words. Our shadow is a reflection of who we are.  We think that. My shadow  is showing you ME, but not really. It is showing you who I am when I am shined upon. The closer I am to the Light, the longer my shadow. Stopped again... Man, read that statement. The closer I am to the Light, the longer my shadow. Wow... This is not the blog I sat down to write, but if we want to reach people, if we want to change lives, we need to get closer to the Light, closer to the Son. Wow.. wow... wow.

Going to pray now and spend some time in the Son... I will write about leadership later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment